Did the planet just backflip off its axis? Are pigs doing cartwheels across the sky? Did Michael Jackson moonwalk out of his grave and buy a ticket to Shrek 5? Because something impossible just happened: Supernatural based a whole episode around female characters. Three-dimensional ones, even! None of them love interests. And with a recurring character to boot. What show was this? I know, I know, by now all complaints about Supernatural’s casual misogyny — whether by omitting multi-dimensional females or simply fridging them — are admittedly tired by now. But “Alex Annie Alexis Ann” proved that perhaps the complainers were right all along. This was a heavy, thoughtful, and tremendously well-written episode of television, and it couldn’t have been possible without strong female characters. Who knew! Oh, right. We all did.
Dean Winchester was named after a bisexual book character
Castiel’s appearence was based on a bisexual comic book character
do you ever think about that and
The Opposite end of traditional “street harassment”: the girl who never get’s cat called
In feminist spaces I see a lot of feminists complain about being street harassed. I read about it and I totally sympathize with their experiences, even though I have never experienced them myself. I am a female myself but am not conventionally attractive. I am not hideous but more or less a plain jane. On top of that I have ALWAYS valued comfort over style, so dressing feminine isn’t something I do on a regular basis. I wear a lot of loose jeans and T-shirts. But yeah, anyway, know that I am not trying to play “who has it harder” or anything but rather I am making this to share my experiences of getting the opposite end of the shit-covered stick that is street harassment that I don’t see being mentioned. I call it street dismissal.
When I say street dismissal I am talking about men who feel the need to subtly announce that unattractive women are not worthy of respect or acknowledgement because they are not a conventionally attractive female or their fellow man.
Some examples I’ve personally experienced include:
- Many guys at parties will arrive or leave, give all the men handshakes, give the attractive women hugs, but won’t even make eye contact with me. I am not a guy or a hot girl so I don’t exist.
- I’ve been bumped into in public without an apology by men. I am not an attractive girl or your fellow man, so it makes sense for you to not even notice I am there.
- One time I was walking behind a group of attractive women. A guy spotted us. Opened the door for the three women and shut the door in my face. I am not worthy of his time because I am not attractive.
- I once was charged a cover on ladies night because I went out to the bar in my work uniform. (red shirt khaki pants)
- Another time at a bar, I saw an open space to order a drink. The guy sitting next to me saw me, raised his eyebrows and turned the other way to make sure I don’t DARE try to talk to him. (Because I totally went there to hit on him and NOT get a drink right?)
- I once went with my gay male friend to a straight guys house he knew. The first thing out of the straight guy’s mouth was “I was totally excited when you had a chick with you. Nevermind!” the whole night he offered my friend drinks and didn’t offer me a thing and seemed frustrated when I asked where the bathroom was. The only other thing he said that night was “do you have any hot single friends that would come over here?”
- Another time I went with a female friend of mine to get drinks. We met up with her guy friend. He ordered a round of beers for everyone except me. His excuse was “he didn’t know she was going to bring someone along and he is low on money” that was until his guy friend from high school showed up unexpectedly and he quickly bought him a drink.
These are just examples that have happened to me. So my question is are there any other “unattractive” girls out there that experience things similar to this?
I just wanted to speak from the other perspective. We always hear the horror stories of sexism from the perspective of the women who are objectified by men in the sense of “oo I want that.” and not too many in the sense of “oo, ew DO NOT WANT”
This may seem like a big long rant that looks like “WAH PRETTY GIRLS GET THINGS AND I DON’T OH MY LIFE SUCKS” but I don’t mean to come off that way. Because I feel the need to mention that guys don’t do this just to get laid. This is where it’s important to bring up the fact that we are treated with less respect than other men. Men aren’t decent people to other men because they want to fuck them. They are decent to them because they see them as equals that deserve basic respect and acknowledgement. But we are women and to these men either you try to fuck them because they are hot or want them to go away. An unattractive woman has no purpose to him.
Misogyny affects all women negatively.
THIS IS IMPORTANTAs a woman who gained a lot of weight right out of high-school and spent 3 years in ill fitting clothes and various terrible haircuts, then lost the weight in her early twenties and drastically refined her look — I have lived both sides of this equation. And I think having experienced the dismissal makes it all the more glaringly obvious how hollow the so called “positive” attention really is.
ecouter-bien’s tags: #this has definitely happened to me#i’ve been on both sides of this experience and let me tell you they’re both awful#on one hand if you deemed thin/attractive/fitting conventional stereotypes of attractiveness you’ll be catcalled#on the other hand if you don’t you’re literally invisible and don’t exist to them#you’re not even human to them#that’s kind of a horrifying thought actually#I’ve been fat and invisible#lost weight and been not invisible#got the confidence to style myself how I like (which isn’t conventional) and returned to being invisible#fuck every facet of misogyny that reduces women’s worth and visibility to appearance#it’s dangerous to be visible and invisible#misogyny#sexism#my life#queue
i hate her and katy perry for making songs i want to lowkey dance hard to in my room and/or car but having super offensive, appropriative videos.
Ke$ha’s new stuff is weird
the video would improve massively if the japanese girls would kill her at the end
This is how we define it: A bisexual is someone who is attracted to more than one gender. You might care about the gender of your partner a lot, a little, or not at all - but their gender doesn’t prevent you from being attracted to them.
I know better now, and so I am trying to do better. It is painful because the old ways are so comfortable but I know in my heart that pain is the only thing that will bloom if I go backwards and plant the same seeds I always did.
I want to feel the sun kiss my skin, and watch the light grow inside of me. So yes, I know better, and yes I will try to do better. I will trust that this uncomfortable feeling will fade into peace, and I will be one step closer to being free in me.
I am letting go of many things, thoughts, feelings, and people that have weighed me down until the water filled my lungs. I am learning how to breathe again without them, and it feels bittersweet but I know this is what is right for me.
I won’t explain or justify myself to anyone. I will live out my life with joy, with peace, with honesty, and I will not let anything unravel me again.
This is my story, and beautiful things will be written in each page. The light will soak into my words, and I will come alive in each chapter. No more holding back. No more pleasing you. No more making myself small to make you more. I am here, and I am going to take up space. I am going to live.
|—||Dele Olanubi (via bealightinthedark)|
Jody Mills doesn’t need the Winchesters to save her.
Jody Mills saves herself.
Hey everyone! I’m sure you remember this lovely post suggesting fantastic movies of queer ladies. And I thought that I might be of help, and give you links to those movies with some lovely lesbian romance.
To see the summaries of the films, check the post that gave me the idea. They make good summaries, and make them funny too. :)
R O M - C O M S
- Kyss Mig(Kiss Me)
- The Four-Faced Liar,
- The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love
- Saving Face
- Nina’s Heavenly Delights
- Yes or No
- I Can’t Think Straight
- Desert Hearts
F U N N Y S H I T
A C T I O N / T H R I L L E R / M Y S T E R Y
P E R I O D D R A M A S
- The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister
- Fingersmith part 1, Fingersmith part 2
- Tipping the Velvet episode 1
- The Night Watch
- Viola di mare
- Farewell, My Queen
H O T A S F U C K
D R A M A S
T E E N A G E R S ?
T R A N S W O M E N ?
O T H E R S
Normally I gif my favorite scenes. But this would not be the same without the audio. The harmonizing!
THIS WAS SUCH A PERFECT MOMENT
Damn. Now THAT’S how you do a MoW ep.